Thursday 2 February 2012

TV, Music, Movies, Books, the Information of the New Generation.

How we obtain information as a society in this technological age has changed. Compared to decades ago, or maybe even 5 or 2 years ago, we are yearning for information to flood our brain, almost on a 24/7 basis. As a nation, whether it be America, Canada, Australia, U.K.; and even the whole entire world, is yearning for information, definitely meaningful, but sometimes, and most times, we all can settle for the meaningless. 

In my life in particular, I have often wondered, 'Am I a consumer or a consumee?' Consumer by definition is someone that obtains goods and services (to be blunt). But there comes a point that I have seen in my life (and I'm sure others too!), that with the music I listen to, the TV shows and movies I watch, the books I read, sometimes even the clothes I wear; can be 'consumed'. Let me just give you an example. Currently on my iTunes, I have well over 10,000 songs. Most of them I've bought from the local Christian bookstore Koorong in West Ryde, the others I've purchased from iTunes, and downloaded free from noisetrade. But then when I step back and think about it. Are the albums that I have necessary? Sure at that time it was great, but have you ever stepped back to think, that after the first few listens, you move on to the next album that is coming out the next week, and then the cycle continues? Do you then find yourself buying these albums, purely on the basis of the lyrics and music (which what it should be!); or, as sometimes I can relate to, on the reputation of the artists and how 'popular' and well known that they are? We as a society need to step back and look at the big picture. I know that I'm probably never going to be able to listen to 10,000 songs in my lifetime (only if I stay awake for 38 days and 14 hours and listen non-stop!). And I need to be cool with that. But then I also need to think, 'How much of what I consume is because I truly believe that this had or will have a positive impact on my life', where I look back and think 'Gee, the Lord did speak through this!'; or is it just because of the craze?

I need to keep myself in check. I'm sure all my songs on my computer speak to me in different ways, but the motivation behind my obtaining of the songs need to be right. I just can't just consume because of the artists reputation, popular opinion, or even what everyone else would say. Just because one of my favourite bands produce a stellar album one year, doesn't mean that their next album would be just as glorious, and I shouldn't really buy into the next album just on the fact that 'It's so-and-so'. On the flip side, artists that I haven't even considered may have great songs out there, and because of my preconceived ideas about what 'genre' of music I can handle, I dismiss them completely.

It's not just music. It goes with everything that we do, and all the information that pours into our heads, through all the mediums that we can handle. Currently I know that I'm watching too many TV shows that I can handle. To give you a taste: Once Upon a Time, Psych, Royal Pains, Castle, Parenthood, White Collar, Switched at Birth, Person of Interest, Sherlock, The Mentalist, Fairly Legal, Alphas, Eureka, Alcatraz, Hart of Dixie, Bones, The Glades, Unforgettable, Rookie Blue, Ringer... I'm sure many TV show lovers would say to me then that that is nothing, that they are watching 20 or maybe even 30 shows simultaneously. But then herein lies my point. I need to take stock. Sure some shows are just for entertainment. Its the shows that you can just watch on a Friday night with the family, just because you can, something that you can watch after a hard day at work or uni. But not to that over-excessive point that I know that I'm currently in. I need to ask, 'Does the Lord speak through this?' It could be a silly question. The Lord can speak through rocks, and donkeys, so speak through a TV show won't be hard for Him. But the question should instead be, 'What's my priority?' If I had to pick 5 or 10 shows that I currently watch, and that's it, what will it be? And for what reasons? Why do we do what we do? Whether it is we watch 10, 20 or 30 TV shows, it doesn't matter. But rather, we should know that the motivation behind it all should be pure. It should be, 'I'm watching this, not based on any review or what people say,' but rather, 'I'm gonna watch this because I've seen the trailer, and it looks like a fun show to watch, and hopefully, the Lord can show me something about myself, about other people, or even about what He wants to say to me right now through this show!' Similar with movies too, we should watch each movie with the intention 'Lord, here I am. Let me have a great time watching this. But also, show to me what you want, and speak to me through this film. Let me see what you want me to see, and if this movie should help me become a better man, and for me to grow more as a Christian, then I'm ready!'.

In essence, we should approach anything with that. Movies, books, TV, music; because in the end, the information that we obtain will be used to shape the next generation. Gone are the days, where books, movies, TV and music are just another 'form of entertainment'. Even now, these 'forms of entertainment' are quickly becoming the first choices of information for the younger generation. And we need to grasp that and catch on quickly. Yes, these things are forms of entertainment. But, one movie, one book, one TV show, and even one song, can change a person's life. That's how profound and influential the entertainment genre is. Whether we like it or not, the influence of technology, in all forms, is only going to increase the mediums and frequency of 'entertainment'. We as a church and as Christians need to have influence in that sphere, and say, 'Yes, these movies, shows, and songs can impact your life, but there is someone that can turn your life around, and His name is Jesus!' I really long for the day when there is Christ-themed TV show that'll debut on either NBC, FOX, CBS, CW or ABC.

But what we really need to keep in check is the fact that we shouldn't consume but rather enjoy. Sometimes I can get caught up in buying the 12000 songs that I miss out on what the Lord is trying to say in the 1. We all need to stop and think, and ask the Lord, 'Do I really need this? Is this improving or getting in the way of my relationship with God?' Just the other day, megaupload shut down, causing widespread panic by those who 'file-shared'. Now I need to step back and wonder. Sometimes the Lord can work in the most obscure ways, sometimes even as 'left-field' as this; to ask for our attention. Maybe this is God's way of saying 'You guys don't need all of this. Sure, I can speak through all of these things, but if you truly want to be satisfed, then come to me!'

I am probably going to start to go through my TV show collection, and ask some very tough questions. But before I sign off, let me ask you a question. Sometimes so many of us Christians substitute reading the Word of God, the Bible, and they read other books, listen to Christian music, watch sermons on DVD... but if there was no TV, no books, no computer, no internet, no songs, would our FAITH be shaken?

Think about it. Feel free to comment below.

Until next time,

Jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment