Wednesday 26 October 2011

Music is the Universal Language

Music is the universal language of the soul. Everyone enjoys it. Everyone searches for a song that they can say 'This is my song, this song is speaking just to me!'. A song can be as powerful as a sermon on a Sunday morning, and can strike the very being of the soul, even when the listener has the hardest of hearts.

There are billions of songs out there in the vast space of Internet. From mainstream, to Christian, to country, to metal and folk, music appeals to various different people. A song can stir up emotions in someone that have stayed dormant for years, it can spur someone on to make a decision, good or bad, that will affect them and those around them.

For me, there are a number of songs that I've listened to in my life, where I've thought, 'This is my song.' One of these songs is by a British Christian band, Delirious?. You can read about them on Wikipedia, but the song History Maker, has struck to the core of my being, and has challenged me to take new risks, and to change the world.

What is your favourite song? Is it your favourite because it's your friend's favourite? Or has it spoken to you in ways unimaginable. Sometimes all it is is a song that can help you get through the toughest of situations. Some people may not know it, but a song carries with it a part of the person who wrote it. These artists pour their hearts and souls, and devote their time to producing an album, and their songs are what they are feeling at that particular point in time. And, to stir the pot, God can speak through anyone that He wants, even if the song is by a non-Christian. If God decides to do that, then He can.

A song is determined by its melody, lyrics, and how well the person sings. But what always sticks out to me are the lyrics- and particularly the lyrics to the chorus of History Maker:

I'm gonna be a history maker in this land
I'm gonna be a speaker of truth to all mankind
I'm gonna stand, I'm gonna run
Into your arms, into your arms again

Am I ready to be a history maker? Possibly, maybe, I'm not entirely sure. Starting this blog was very daunting, but here I am, I've done it.
So now, here is the video for History Maker by Delirious?. Listen to it, and see if it affects you like how it has done for me.

Music is indeed the universal language- over these next few blogs, I'm going to impart to you readers, my top 10 songs that mean to me the most- starting with No. 1: History Maker (normally with lists from 1-10, they start with no. 10 first, I'm doing it the other way around).

Watch the clip and enjoy, comments are encouraged.

See you all soon.

Jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment