Tuesday 18 October 2011

I Don't Wanna Go Through the Motions

As I reflect on the title of this blog 'The Joy of Living the One Life We All Have', I've realised that this is absolutely true of any person's situation. No matter what, we only have one life that we can live. Not ten, or twenty, but one. When you die, those left behind can't, after they go to your funeral, say, 'Well, now that Johnny has passed, let's just get another Johnny from the store.' It doesn't work like that. We all only have one life. And then its over. 

So this got me thinking. We need to start living life, and not get into the lulled sense of 'going through the motions' that we can all be caught up in from day to day. Sometimes, if we're 'going through the motions' we can become avid 'consumers' rather than stopping and enjoying what we do have, without having the yearning to want more (in a material sense). Are we consuming for consuming sake, just following the trend because other people are, or are we keeping our eyes peeled for those who really need our attention? 

We need to be on the lookout, but not go ‘looking’ for things to accomplish. You shouldn’t really do anything, unless it's been placed it on your heart for you to do. We can’t all change the world, but we can change the world that we live in. Just by doing what we do, and knowing that opportunities will come by. And when they do, we should grasp them with both hands, because you don’t know whether they would come again. But above all else, in whatever we do, we should do it with all our heart. Because if we’re not doing things whole-heartedly, then we’re just going through the motions, and in whatever case, people around us will see through what we do.

So therefore, we should continuously evaluate our lives with the question ‘why do we do what we do?’ and seriously wonder. Do we do things for the right reasons? If not, how can we know the right reasons? All I know, I sure don’t want to do anything if I’m just going through the motions.

I don't wanna go through the motions; I don't wanna go one more day
Without Your all consuming passion inside of me; I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything, instead of going through the motions?"
Except from 'The Motions'; from Matthew West’s 2008 album Something to Say
 

No comments:

Post a Comment