Wednesday 28 December 2011

Putting the 'Christ' Back in Christ-mas

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I posted.

It has been hectic the past couple of weeks. It was a very momentous end of the year for me and my family. This was because it was the first time our grandparents had come down to Sydney for Christmas, the previous times it was always us going up to Canberra since the early 1990's. I guess the reason was due to our grandparents become older, and being comfortable and sedentary, so them coming to Sydney was kind of a big deal. So my brother and I took out our fake Christmas tree (I know, I'm a bit slack!) and decorated it with the usual tinsel, lights, Christmas balls. Below is a picture.






Our grandparents and aunty and her fiance arrived in Sydney on the 23rd, and the 24th and 25th December was quite rushy. Full of buying presents and wrapping them, opening them and the Christmas lunch on Christmas Day. And to top it all off, I was tweeting to numerous artists and my friends wishing them Merry Christmas also. And let's not forget the Boxing Day test match (cricket) between Australia and India starting the 26th Dec. So with all of that stuff occurring during the past few days, it is easy to become distracted and believe in the mentality that Christmas is all about busyness and presents. But now I can step back and authoritatively say that it isn't.

Christmas is simply this. God sent Jesus down to earth to be born in a manger so that we could have new life. Powerful isn't it? Giving humanity, with all of our screw-ups a second chance... The meaning of Christmas, however is null if Jesus did not die and rise again during Easter time. However Jesus did die, and did rise, so now humanity has a chance to have a relationship with Jesus Christ! Now there's a reason to celebrate! There's a reason to exchange gifts!

Now I don't know about all of you, but our grandparents aren't Christians. Of late, it's been remarkable, as God has given us as a family quite a few times to witness to them, with more positive results. I can only hope and pray that God does His work in their hearts. 

How about you? Are there any family members in your family that are not Christians? Have you tried to witness to them? Many times in the past we have, yet our grandparents wouldn't budge. There has been times, I admit, that I can succumb to the pressure and actually try to water down the gospel so that our grandparents can understand. But I have to check myself. The gospel isn't something that should be watered down at all. Because the gospel is a life and death matter. One day, Jesus will come and separate the sheep from the goats. And if we have not accepted Jesus before the second coming of Christ, that's it. Game over, and there won't be extra time. No golden goal. And that day will be sad for some people. So as Christians it is our calling to evangelise to as many people as possible. And what better way to do it than in the festive season! It's time to but the 'Christ' back in Christmas!

Now before I leave you all for the year, let me ask you this question? Whose life do you want to impact this year? Your relatives, close friends, work mates, superiors? The only way that can happen, is not through presents, but only by God's presence. I reckon Mike Donehey says it quite nicely in the below video. That we already have been accepted by God so we do not have to do more and try harder. So this new year, think about one person. Then ask God to touch their lives and soften their heart. Then go out. Spread the gospel. As said in Matthew 28: 19-20 "... Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”




Until next year
Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment