Wednesday 2 May 2012

Blogging: What's Your Motivation?

It’s been a long time since I wrote a blog that I don’t even know where to start. Every time I try to start a blog I procrastinate, or I worry about finding the ‘perfect’ topic to write about. I get so caught up with the appearances of how this elusive blog should look like, that I forget that I can just write, and let God’s Holy Spirit just flow through me, knowing that what I write may help someone else in the future. It has always been a focus of mine that I write about topics that I’m interested in, that I’d like to share to the world, but never have I started a blog with an uncertainty about what to talk about, or how it would flow or how it would even end. A daunting task that even is convincing me now at this very moment to just stop, pack it in, and wait another day (what I have been doing for the past few weeks), I know that it is in these moments when you know you can’t do it on your own, that the Lord comes in and makes the impossible possible.

Not writing has been the hardest. If you know me, and how I’ve written periodically on this blog, going without for a few weeks is bound to raise a few questions. Where is he; and why isn’t he active? There is that unseen pressure, maybe by myself or by other people; that updates need to be given on a regular basis. And if that doesn’t happen, then judgements are passed. By others or by myself, there is that pressure to do more, be seen, because of the notion of ‘if you don’t use it, you lose it’. During my hiatus from my blog, I’ve recently taken up an unpaid position writing Christian music reviews at a website indievisionmusic.com. It has been fun posting the reviews that I love, but trying to introduce CCM into a website flooded with hard rock and metal music is difficult to say the least. Sometimes people read my reviews, and sometimes they don’t. Sometimes I receive comments, both negative and positive, and sometimes it feels like my reviews are bypassed completely. But I know that even though I shouldn’t get affected by all these things, I am; more than I should be. There have been thoughts in my mind like ‘well, if no one reads this, then why bother doing it in the first place?’ Well, I know who will read it. I will. Sometimes, and more often than not, I have read through my past blogs, and thought, ‘gee, did I even write this, or that?’ And looking back on it, I know I wrote it as in I typed all the words on a word document, but I can’t really remember writing something so rich and full of encouragement. That is certainly the power of Christ, and as He works through each one of us, we can continually be encouraged and spurred on our Christian walk, even if it is by our own words.

I know that these blogs that I write will later on help me through some tough times, and as I continually read through my reviews, I am encouraged to know how much God loves to speak through the music that we listen to. Music brings power along with it; and as we soak in the Lord’s presence, we may even find that the Lord can speak through the typical CCM song, just as much as a hard rock tune, or even a mainstream melody. Music is so powerful that one phrase, stanza or line can change someone’s life forever. It can seep deep down into someone’s soul, and affect their very being, motivating them to love, or to hate. This is particularly crucial to choose what types of music to listen to. Something with a positive message can place someone on the path the Lord has destined for them to go along. But we must remember that these words spoken through song can also hinder as well. Ephesians 4:29 has really struck out to me as something to look at, ‘…Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen…’ This is a very powerful verse. Whatever we say will have consequences, and even through music, as people listen to songs, the lyrics tend to affect someone more than the artist intends.

We all need to be careful and know that whatever we write, sing about, watch on TV or at the cinemas will have an affect on us more than we know. Just because no one comments on my blog or rates or comments on my reviews doesn’t mean that someone hasn’t read it, bought the album, and been blessed by it. I know it in my head, but I also know that we’re all human and we do get affected by these types of things. And so as I finish this blog (that I thought would never be finished), let me pose this question. Are there things that you do that you want people to notice? Why? To promote your fame, or God’s? What is the motivation behind what you do, to further your own kingdom, or to invite people into the never-ending story of God? We must keep our eyes on Christ, He is the reason we do anything at all. He is our mighty fortress, and He is our sacred refuge. As I leave you with a song from worship artist Christy Nockels, let this song soak into your heart, as we realise our purpose on this planet, to exalt the name of Christ, so that others can know the joy and hope we all have.


Til next blog,

Jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment